Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Photographer Profile: Curtis Trent

This week I go behind the camera with Canadian photographer Curtis Trent. Curtis is an exceptional photographer who works across multiple industries and always manages to get the best out of his subjects. Curtis and I have collaborated on numerous projects for Avenue Magazine, shooting fashion editorial, Style Q&A's and even Edmonton Oilers Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle.

This week Curtis is in Calgary for the 2014 CAPIC Showcases, which highlights the creative works of some of Western Canada's best Commercial Photographers. Curtis took a few minutes from his schedule to chat with me about his career and his passion for the craft.

 






Some of Curtis' works that will be on display at the CAPIC Showcase.

SG. How would you describe your work as a photographer?
CT. I work in a variety of areas of photography from lifestyle to portrait to fashion. I am particularly drawn to portraiture and the narrative you can create.

SG. What types of projects give you the greatest sense of satisfaction?
CT. Some of my favourite projects are the ones where I have the most freedom to interpret an idea of a story my own way. I am also inspired when there are very specific criteria that include props and production that help establish that narrative. This can sometimes be the most exciting and surprising. I like stories and spending time developing an idea with an ongoing body of work.

SG. How did you get your start as a photographer?
CT. I always knew I would be involved in visual art; as Lady Gaga would say, "I was born that way!" My older brother is a photographer which piqued my interest. I spent my early years apprenticing with some excellent mentors in New York and Toronto, which eventually led to work in editorial, design and advertising.

SG. You have been a tremendous mentor to many young photographers and you have even taught at local Universities; why is it important for you to give back?
CT. I’m as passionate now as when I began shooting. I get as much as I give as a mentor. The energy and curiosity my students have, is contagious, and vise versa. I also place value on teaching as part of my role in the photographic community. One goal of mine as an educator is to pass on the importance of craft in photography as it can get overlooked amidst the ever changing technology. And to challenge the perception that if you have a camera or smart phone, you are a photographer.  


SG. Your work is being featured at the CAPIC Showcase, how do you feel about having your work on display as part of this showcase?
CT.  It’s very important for me to have people see my work, beyond the specific audience for which it was originally made. It’s also important to have these opportunities to see what my peers are doing and have the chance to celebrate our work together. 


You can see Curtis's work along with many other of Western Canada's top photographers at the Village Brewery for the CAPIC Showcase February 12th till the 21st. For more details click here!

support art.
style guy.

1 comment:

  1. thank's regard for your information and i like this post ^___^

    ReplyDelete